Worship Team Application
We’re excited that you’re interested in being part of the Worship Team! It is a fun, challenging, and rewarding ministry. If God has gifted you with musical or technical talent, we want you to be able to use it for His glory! This is a somewhat complex ministry with many moving parts. So, for your advantage, and that of the Worship Ministry as a whole, there is a short process to become a regularly scheduled member of the worship team. Here are the first few steps...
- Prayerfully consider your involvement.
- Please read this page completely. There is a lot of important information that you will need to know.
- The Worship Pastor will contact you about your application and the audition process.
One of our goals is to equip our people to live a life of worship. Whether at church, at work, or at home, living in close relationship with God is an awesome and humbling privilege that we encourage at every opportunity. The Worship Ministry seeks to enhance that relationship by giving our people an opportunity to praise God together, through song, as one unified body.
We want worship to be simple and accessible. Singing to God with a sincere heart does not have or need to be complex. With that said there is a certain level of preparation, planning, and practice that goes into making each and every worship service simple. Because of this, there is a certain level of commitment that is required from the Worship Team. This commitment can take on many forms. Here are a few practical areas where level of commitment is most evident.
- Be on time. Everyone’s time is valuable. It’s important that everyone be punctual for practice so that we can use our limited time as efficiently as possible.
- Be prepared. Practices are infinitely smoother when everyone has listened to the scheduled music and practiced with it at least once. Being prepared also means having any gear or equipment that you intend to use on the weekend with you for practice.
- Be positive. It is much easier to work together when ideas or suggestions are presented with a good attitude.
- Dress appropriately. Rise Church has a very relaxed unofficial “dress code.” However, there are a few basic requirements. Shoulders, cleavage, and the mid-section should be completely covered at all times. Any article of clothing with questionable text or graphics should not be worn. We want our people’s focus to be on God. Anything that takes focus off of Him is a hindrance to our ultimate goal. Should your choice of clothing not meet this standard, you will not be able to lead until it has been resolved. This decision is up to the Worship Pastor.
- Be flexible. It is the Worship Leader’s responsibility to give adequate notice of schedule changes or changes to the service. While it is not uncommon for these changes to take place, it is only done when necessary.
AUDITION PROCESS (WORSHIP TEAM ONLY)
There are two rounds to the audition process. The first round involves sending in a video submission of you playing or singing and the second round involves a live audition with the band.
ROUND 1 - Initial Meeting with Pastor Matthew
There will be a brief 30-60 minute meeting with Pastor Matthew to discuss what you can expect as a member of the Worship Team. You will learn expections, guidelines, and policies.
Round 2 - Live Audition
If selected to proceed to a live audition, a date will be set for you to come audition. You may prepare something yourself or request a list of commonly played songs. The audition takes place in a non-threatening environment with Pastor Matthew and our music coordinator.
In some cases, it may be evident that an applicant’s skills have not developed enough to serve on a regularly scheduled basis. Should this be the case, those conducting the audition will give some advice on how the applicant can improve. We also have members of our worship team who offer instruction and lessons. After some time and practice another audition may be scheduled.
Once you’ve been selected to be part of the team, we will have you sign a Worship Team Expectations form.
We will also set up an account for you on www.planningcenteronline.com. This is an online service planning website where the Worship Leader posts the songs for the coming services. It allows worship team members to access chord charts, lyric sheets, and multi-track files, as well as audio recordings or YouTube videos of songs we will be using in worship.
After your account is set up and you have access to the resources you need, you’re ready to go. The Worship Leader is in charge of scheduling vocalists and instrumentalists. The frequency with which you are scheduled is based on how many team members we have and your experience and availability.